Friday, June 19, 2015

Dead Medium by Peter John



On Tuesday last, I found myself on a journey across the pond, by invitation of the royal fairy court of the United Kingdom. In the midst of my travels I found myself caught in a windstorm, the likes of which I have never seen. I was forced to seek shelter in the nearest building, which happened to be a book store. After fluttering from shelf to shelf I finally settled on a book called Dead Medium by Peter John.

The beginning was a bit slow moving, but I feel that it offered great insight on the setting and characters. The story gained momentum shortly after the second chapter, and by the fourth chapter the plot became more clear.

There were very few grammar and punctuation errors, which made the book that much more enjoyable to read. I also found Peter John's style of description gave me the ability to envision the goings on in the story, almost as if I were there. However, the small and large time jumps made the story hard to follow occasionally. I felt like I was missing important conversations. 

The characters are well developed, with strong individual personalities. May, the main character, reminded me of my grandmother. In that way I was able to connect with her and the story. May's struggle with life and death caused me to ponder mortality, which is not something, I as a sprite would normally consider important. I found the relationship between Penny and May intriguing as May became the voice of reason in Penny's chaotic afterlife.   

There were times where the story became a bit intense, but Peter John's ability to insert comedic relief had me laughing right out of my seat. The story had twists and turns...and maybe a few misadventures, with a supersizing yet satisfying ending. 

My best wishes to Peter John, well done.

Now my mortal readers, I am off to explore The Butterfly Fields. I shall bring you back tales of good and evil, and all that may lie between. Until Friday next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment